About Project Angel Food
Project Angel Food is the leading nonprofit delivering free meals to people who are struggling with serious illness in the Greater Los Angeles area. The staff and volunteers at Project Angel Food serve and deliver more than 10,000 free and nutritious meals every week throughout Los Angeles County.
Project Angel Food’s mission is to nourish the body and spirit of men, women and children who are debilitated by disease and struggling with serious illness such as cancer, heart disease, HIV/AIDS, renal failure and stoke.
- We are the only daily meal delivery program serving all of Los Angeles County.
- We cook and deliver more than 10,000 meals every week, free of charge, and have delivered more than 10 million meals since our inception in 1989.
- Our meals are tailored to each medical condition by on-staff registered dieticians and are cooked by professional chefs using the highest quality ingredients with the help of our many devoted volunteers.
- The people we serve range in age from 16-102, and represent the diversity of Los Angeles with more than 79% being people of color, 71% live below poverty level and more than half live alone.
- Through our new Urban Gardens initiative, we are now growing fresh produce in community gardens and plots of vacant land in Los Angeles, which are used in our meals.
- The full cost of each meal, which includes fresh ingredients, packaging, cooking and delivery, is about $5.
- We believe that it is important to nourish the soul as well as the body of someone struggling with a life-threatening illness.